Do you have (or suspect that you have) low thyroid function?
Are you tired of feeling sluggish and foggy only to be told that your thyroid tests “look normal”?
You are not alone! Thyroid conditions are perhaps the most common reason why patients seek Dr. Nielsen’s care.
Your thyroid gland is part of your hormone system. This small gland is located inside your neck over your windpipe and is shaped like a butterfly. Your thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones - which play a major role in regulating many bodily functions, including:
- Temperature control
- Bowel function
- Cognitive function
- Heart health
- Skin integrity
- Muscle development
- Gingival health
Thyroid disorders are very common, especially in women. It is estimated that 1 in 8 women will develop a thyroid disorder during their lifetime, and up to 60% are unaware of their thyroid condition!
It is far more common to have low thyroid than high thyroid levels. When you have low thyroid hormone levels it is called hypothyroidism.
Common symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Elevated cholesterol
DR. NIELSEN'S APPROACH
Dr. Nielsen’s approach to thyroid optimization is different than most conventional practitioners in a number of ways:
- Comprehensive thyroid laboratory testing is utilized to make decisions, not simply a TSH.
- Nutritional support is taken into consideration.
- For those with Hashimoto’s (an autoimmune thyroid condition), a Functional Medicine autoimmune protocol is utilized to address the root causes of immune system dysfunction.
- The choice of thyroid hormone medication is individualized for each patient.
- Laboratory goals are for optimal thyroid hormone levels, not “normal range”. These optimal levels may be different from person to person based on a number of factors.
- Patients are encouraged to listen to their body and be a partner in the decision-making process.
Ready to get started?
CALL 231-638-5585 OR SEND US AN EMAIL.